Sunday, February 17, 2013

Fix 5-6


Despite my technical issues this week, I was able to experience some of the social connectivity that is available in the game.  I feel that it is nice to connect with some of the players that are playing for fun.  I also like how helpful many of them are, especially if you tell them you need help for a class.  I started a conversation with a player that has been playing on the Settlers game for just over a year.  He plays on average 4 hours per day on the game.   I told him I don’t have 4 hours to play the game daily.  He mentioned that he likes playing the game because he gets to chat with people from all over and helps them when needed.  He really enjoys the chat feature of the game.  He calls himself the chatterbox of his guild.  He does his best in the game to help others while succeeding in his quests.  It was nice to meet someone that was so willing to help even though they don’t know you per say.  One of the last things he mentioned was that he does play other games but they are not online.  I feel the social connectivity helps not only with the game but also with life.  Some of the people that play the game may not have many friends but online they can talk to all kinds of people.  You’re not judged online.  It is a sense or feeling of belonging and it doesn’t matter who you are.  According to McGonigal (2011), gamers without a doubt, are reinventing what we think as our daily community infrastructure.  They’re experimenting with new ways to create social capital and their developing habits that provide more social bonding and connectivity than any bowling league ever could. 

The guild I joined is called Pie inc. (PI).  I was looking for a friend outside of classmates and stumbled on two, one that was willing to interview and one that wanted to add me to a guild.  Both were very helpful in areas that I needed. 

I have used the help feature of the game to get assistance in levels or better understanding of what I need to do to complete the quest.  I have found it to be very useful when really wanting to get past a level.  I am okay with the social connectivity; it lets you know that there are people out there that are willing to help or just to talk if needed.  I can see where some people can get too involved in the game and that it takes them away from reality or life. 

An epic or gratifying moment in the game thus far would be to complete the quests and move on to the next levels.  I feel so relieved when all my quests are completed for the level and then I claim my rewards.  It makes you want to keep going when you continue to complete them.  It’s when you hit a hard one or a road block that gets frustrating.    McGonigal (2011) states that games are showing us exactly what we want out of life: more satisfying work, better hope for success, stronger social connectivity and the chance to be a part of something bigger than ourselves.

McGonigal, J. (2011) Reality is broken: why games make us better and how they can change the world.  Penguin Group.   

No comments:

Post a Comment