Saturday, February 9, 2013

Fix 3-4


More Satisfying Work

  1. Leveling Up - describe your process so far of leveling up in the game.

Since, I had to restart my gaming process due to a glitch in the system.  I found that it was easier to build up on levels now that I haven’t hit a wall.  I find following the quests that are needed to level up are getting more complex and time consuming.  As long as you complete the quests needed, it seems as though you can level up easily. 

  1. Clear goals and actionable steps - What are some of the clear goals and specific actionable steps that you have been working towards achieving? Are there any goals or actions that are not quite so clear?

My goal is to fully understand the settler’s game.  At times it seems as though I get the hang of it and then it gives me a quest that I am not to clear on how to complete.  I know that is probably the reason for it but it could give you some more information when needed or a place to look up key terms to understand what is needed to do.  For example: How do I manage to claim new land and build a warehouse.  It doesn’t give you any more description than that. 

According to McGonigal (2011), the best-designed games work feels more productive because it feels more real.  The feedback comes stronger and faster, and the impact is more visible and vivid.  With that said, I agree that the more graphic the more entertaining but I also think it depends on the type of game also. 

                                                                                                                                 

Better Hope of Success

 

  1. Feedback - What kinds of feedback does the game use to give you a sense of control and desire to succeed?

The game gives you rewards for completing a quest, leveling up and logging in everyday.  It does fill a sense of success because you know you are doing it correctly.  I tend to want to keep playing when I get to continue and receive the awards.  It’s when I get stuck that I don’t feel as successful or have the complete control of the game. 

  1. Mastery - What has been your process of learning been like in the game? How has it given you the hope of success?

The process of learning the Settlers game has been filled with mixed emotions.  I feel great when I get to move along learning the quests and earning the awards or rewards.  I get very frustrated when I get stuck.  It gives me a sense of success when I pass the levels and when I feel as if I have started to understand the game more. 

Bejeweled or Tetris is more of my kind of games to play.  Its more problem solving and they are easier.  The rewards or leveling up seems to be easier.  The only problem is depending on the type of game you can save your results or level.  McGonigal (2011) stated that in many cases, hope of success is more exciting than success itself.  Success is pleasurable, but it leaves us at a loss for something interesting to do.  If we fail, and if we can try again, then we still have a mission. 

No comments:

Post a Comment