Sunday, March 3, 2013

fix 9-10


More Fun with Strangers


  1. In what ways have you experienced a sense of community in the game?

In the game settlers, I have experienced a sense of community in a couple ways.  First way is by belonging to a guild.  They will chat with you about anything.  You can also ask them for supplies that are needed.  They are very kind at answering and questions as well.  It becomes very helpful to someone that has not played this game before.  Second way, is by making friend on the game.  He has become my resource or confidant when needing help or ideas as to how to complete quests.  The guild can get overwhelming. 

McGonigal (2011) states that communitas, what anthropologists call communities, is a powerful sense of thoughtfulness, solidarity and social connection.  It protects against loneliness and alienation. (p.172)

  1. How has the game provided the opportunity and means to interact with each other around common interests?

The only common interest I have found thus far in the game is the game.  I have interacted with many of my guild members and new friends.  I have found that it’s easier to focus on the game than other things.  Once I met the new friend and discussed things beyond the game, it had it benefits and strangeness.  Meaning, we don’t live very far from each other but yet quite and age difference. 

 

Happiness Hacks


  1. In what ways have you experienced happiness hacks in the game?

         Life hacking positions itself in direct contrast to self-help; its meant to be a more collectable way of working out solutions and testing them out together (McGonigal, 2011) (p.188).  It is my understanding that hacking happiness isn’t actually hacking the system but building confidence in the game and has a sense of belonging.  I have experiences the happiness by feeling of being part of the group.  It is helpful when you know you can complete a quest with a little help from other players.  It also makes me happy when I complete the quests needed to level up.  I begin to think I have this game figured out. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment