Sunday, January 13, 2013

My Gaming Experiences

  1. Describe your personal and/or classroom experiences using games/simulations.
             My personal experiences with gaming starts with my childhood.  My first gaming system was an Atari, which may show my age.  Obviously as the technology progressed so did the gaming systems.  I really didn't play much gaming systems as I grew older.  My brother was the one that had the game boy, Sega and PlayStation.  Granted I did play with him at times.  I did have games in my computer courses at school.  I loved playing oriental trail and where in the world is Carmen sandiego. I currently own PlayStation 3 and Wii.  I enjoy playing the Wii because its interactive. 

            As for my teaching/classroom experience with games, I feel they are beneficial to children as long as its educational.  There are many websites out there that provide extra knowledge and education for children to learn.  It also reinforces other skills as well.  I prefer to have computers in the classroom or time to use computers for children.  Yes, games make children want to sit and stare at a screen but its educating them and it works on their gross motor skills.  I just don't think that children should be playing them for hours on end.  I also don't think that children should be playing the games that their parents play.  They are learning what is right or wrong and having a game that they cant tell the difference yet is not a good idea. 


  1. In what ways do you think games could be beneficial and detrimental in learning situations?
             I think games are beneficial because it educated children, keeps them thinking and reinforces skills that may have been taught in the classroom.  As long as they are used properly, children can use the games to increase their learning.  I use starfall.com to help my kindergarteners with their letters and sounds identification.  Sometimes, hearing it in a song or in a different tone or in a game, the children make the connection when reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment