Sunday, January 20, 2013

Gaming as a New Paradigm

      Gaming has evolved over time.  According to Wikipedia, gaming stating in the mid 1940's.  As everyone knows it has progressed tremendously over time.  I know personally how it has changed , since I started with an Atari for a gaming system and now currently have a PlayStation, Wii, computer and I phone.  The graphics alone have changed dramatically.  You ask is education ready for the change of gaming and technology.  I believe it ready.  As noted from the article Games As a Part of  Today's Culture, they state that children have expectations based on their experience with digital games and media. If we as educators don't try to address those expectations, we are going to have some very disinterested children - children who won't bother to learn in classrooms that don't bother to meet them where they are.   Since I teach kindergarten, I completely agree with this statement.  If I don't add some kind of technology in the day, the children done seem as engaged in the lesson.  If I add technology they are more focused on what we are learning.  I believe that all school systems should be up to date on the latest technology since we are the ones teaching the children and building their skills to be the next doctor or lawyer.  According to Vivek Wadhwa, technology today of what is possible is unimaginable in a decade ago.  the other men on the panel mentioned that society and education is ready but it all goes back to funding.  There are any software programs to assist children in education as well as having effective teachers to help their learning.  They also discussed the training that needs to be done for teachers to help them effectively teach their children and how to use more technology in the classroom.  It seems as education gets shafted in the funding part of what is needed.  Children don't learn from books and paper anymore, which is hard for everyone to swallow.  Even me, I have a difficult time incorporating a plethora of technology and gaming but I don't have access to the necessary things that would enhance my children's education. 

No comments:

Post a Comment