Sunday, April 21, 2013

Gaming Trends


A classroom in 2030 has many possibilities.  Depending on the amount of technology available at that time and the trends with the technology, will decide what the classroom will look like.  In my mind, we may not even have classrooms at that point.  Because of technology and trends right now, children learn from their computers at home.  After learning how gaming has progressed over the years, it would seem that classrooms will progress.  Even now, many classrooms have starboards or smart boards that involve interactive lessons wear the children can learn more hands on.  Many high schools also have an ipad or laptop for each student to use for their education.  This takes away the cost of books and supplies and builds technology in the classroom. 

 According to Proto (2011), today, students are expected to pay attention and learn in an environment that is completely foreign to them. In their personal time they are active participants with the information they consume; whether it be video games or working on their Face book profile, students spend their free time contributing to, and feeling engaged by, a larger system. Yet in the classroom setting, the majority of teachers will still expect students to sit there and listen attentively, occasionally answering a question after quietly raising their hand. Is it any wonder that students don’t feel engaged by their classwork?   I will admit, I do this also, expect my children to sit and listen to instruction and raise their hand to answer the question.  My feeling is that’s how we were brought up to learn in education, why should it be any different.  After reading the articles, it seems that I need to be more active in the education.  I will be looking into other techniques to keep my children engaged in their education.  It does amaze me that when my children are at computers they can sit and work on the computers for a long time and seemed to enjoy the educational game they are playing. 

I have found though that no matter what year it is, technology and gaming is beneficial but there is always the never dilemma of funding.  According to Vivek Wadhwa, technology today of what is possible is unimaginable in a decade ago.  The other men on the panel mentioned that society and education is ready but it all goes back to funding. Along with funding comes with training.  I believe that as technology and gaming education upgrades or evolve, so should the ability to train on such things.  School districts should put it in the budget to get the teachers the education to teach to the new techniques. 

I have learned a plethora of information about the gaming benefits in life and education.  In my life, I feel as though I should be playing games more but I feel that I don’t have the time to do it.  But I do find myself, when I am not working or in school, playing games on my phone or the wii.  I enjoy playing puzzle type of games on my phone, which helps with my logic, problem solving and memory skills.  I do enjoy the luminosity games.  I may continue to play those games after the semester ends.  A good game is a unique way of structuring experience and provoking positive emotion (McGonigal, 2011).   

References:

McGonigal, J (2011). Reality is broken.

Proto, A (2011) The gamified classroom: part 1: the unique obstacles teachers face.  Gamification.com

Wadhwa, V. (2012) Gamechangers: What could education look like in five years?  Video. Livestream.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment